Tuesday, April 15, 2014

21 Day Fix Recipe - Tostadas

Whenever I ask my son what he wants for dinner, his answer is always the same... tostadas!  I don't blame him.  My tostadas are "da bomb!"  I never want to avoid family favorites just because my focus is on healthy eating.  What I want is to focus my favorites in a healthy direction and still make them taste delicious.  Here's my recipe for tostadas with healthy portions.  ENJOY!!



21 Day Fix Tostadas

  • 1 lb. extra lean ground beef, I use 96/4 or 98/2
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
  • 1 1/2 C chopped green onions
  • 1 14 oz. can of low sodium diced tomotoes
  • 1 4 oz. can green chiles
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chile powder
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 14 oz. low sodium fat free refried beans (or make your own by rinsing 1 can of black or pinto beans in a strainer. Spraying a skillet with a touch of oil spray and mashing beans with low sodium chicken or vegetable broth until beans have the consistency you are looking for.)
  • 8 corn tortillas
  • 4 tsp. vegetable oil
  • mixed green lettuce
  • salsa
  • cheese (optional)


Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Cover a baking sheet with foil.

Brown ground beef.  Add garlic and chopped green onions when ground beef is nearly cooked.

Add in diced tomatoes and green chiles.  Mix in seasonings well.

Stir in 'refried' beans.

Brush each side of corn tortilla with ~1/4 tsp of oil and place on baking sheet.  Place in oven allowing to bake ~3-5 minutes each side.  Watch as these burn easily!


Serve each tostada with 1 crispy baked tortilla, 1/2 C of beef and bean mixture, ~1/4 C torn mixed green lettuce and 1-2 Tbsp of salsa.  If using cheese use 1/2 blue container of cheese per tostada.

1 serving is 2 tostadas.  21 Day Fix portions = 2 Green containers, 2 Yellow containers and 1 Red container (optional 1 blue container).

Simple. Easy and Delicious!  My son had 2 servings so I would say they were a hit!!

Note: Add more seasonings if you like.  I usually don't measure my seasonings, when I'm cooking, unless I'm following a specific recipe for the first time, so what I have listed here is a guesstimate.


4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm Tostadas! I'm going to try this recipe this week - thanks for sharing it! I hope you don't mind but I linked to this recipe on my blog today: http://authorjess.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-21-day-fix-diet-and-exercise.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessica! Checked out your blog! Awesome work, lady!! If you don't mind, I'll share this info with my 21 Day Fix support groups. This will help me help them get started.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kara, Somehow, I lost my QuickFIX Recipe Booklet link or download. Any chance of getting that again? I love your blog and all you do to encourage healthy living😊 Thank you! Dorene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Dorene! The notification for this message got filtered to my "Social" tab! Unfortunately, this is the same tab where all the football Twitter notifications get sent for my son's high school football team. We live in Texas and that is the peak of football season. I'm so sorry! If you are still interested, please send me an email to kara@techifitness.com and I'll reply with a copy. Thank you for your comment and request! :)

      Delete