Thursday, October 30, 2014

Asian-Fix - 2 Recipes portioned for 21 Day Fix

I had a taste for Asian food after completing my 2nd round of the 3 Day Refresh.  There was something about this Ginger-Carrot recipe they have in the program guide that really had me thinking about what else I could add ginger too.  I could write a whole article about the benefits of ginger for you overall health as it is believed to stimulate digestion by aiding in ridding the body of toxins built up in the liver, colon and other organs, but you probably just want to get to the recipes, right?

OK, before I do, though I have to say just two small things.  The first is that these two dishes were planned close together because I had the ingredients on hand.  It's always a goal to use up the fresh veggies buy so it doesn't go to waste.  I happened to have cabbage, carrots, cilantro and peppers.  It's helpfult to plan your meals this way so you don't waste your money letting your food spoil.  Second, both of these recipes are low-carb.  I'm not a low-carb eater per se. I exercise too intensely for that.  I do try to limit my carbs in the evening, so I try to create dishes that will fit my lifestyle.  I will also add that I do consider portions when cooking and have followed 21 Day Fix eating since March of 2014, so these are perfect for someone who does the same.



Ginger Carrot Chicken Meatballs


  • 2/3 C shredded carrots
  • 1 C chopped or shredded cabbage
  • 5 stalks of green onions chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
  • 1/2 Tbsp. chopped garlic, or 1 garlic clove pressed
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 lb ground chicken
  • 1 egg, beaten (when I tried it out, I used 2 eggs and you can see from the pictures it might have been too much)
  • 1 Tbsp. liquid aminos (I use Braggs liquid aminos, but any soy-free seasoning will do)
  • Cooking spray

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare baking sheet.  I like to cover with foil for easy clean up.

Combine  first 7 ingredients to a large bowl.  Add the ground chicken.  Beat egg(s) and add aminos.  Pour into mixing bowl.  Use clean hands to combine all ingredients.  Form into 12 equal sized meatballs and place on the baking sheet. (check out Hatch Green Chile Extravaganza! at Green Chile Sliders for directions on scoring meat into equal sections).

Bake for 20 minutes.  (Serve over rice or veggies)

Makes 3 servings (4 meatballs)

21 Day Fix Portions (meatballs only): 1 Red, 1 Green





Flavorful Asian Cod

  • 1 lb wild cod, cut into cubes      
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tbsp. liquid aminos (I use Braggs liquid aminos, but any soy-free seasoning will do)
  • 1 Tbsp. Sriracha sauce
  • 1/3 C almond flour (can use almond meal)
  • 1/3 C coconut flour
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
  • 1 Tbsp. Peanut Oil
  • 2 tsp. Olive oil
  • (omit oils if pan frying, otherwise use cooking spray if broiling)

Directions:
After cutting cod into cubes, set aside.  Beat 1 egg in a dish or bowl large enough to hold the cod.  Stir in the liquid aminos and Sriracha sauce.  Add cod to the dish and ensure every piece is coated with the mixture.  Let set for about 15 minutes.

In the meantime, in a separate large flat bowl, combine flours, powders and pepper.  Mix well.  Prepare iron skillet for pan frying with oil, or turn on broiler for if not.  If using the broiler, I recommend lining a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup and spraying with cooking spray.

Finally, toss the fish in the flour mixture.  Be sure to shake off the excess when transferring to the pan or baking sheet.  If broiling, top spray generously with cooking oil over the top of the fish as the almond flour tends to burn at high heat.

Pan fry for 3 minutes each side or broil for 8-10 minutes.

Serve over rice or your favorite veggies.  For the picture, I sauteed the remaining cabbage I had from the first recipe, onions and red, yellow and green peppers and mushrooms.

Makes 3 servings.

21 Day Fix Portions (when served over 2 C Veggies and): 1/2 Blue, 1/2 Orange, 1 Red, 2 Green, 3 teaspoons (1 teaspoon for broiled)

No comments:

Post a Comment