Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Ninja-Slow Cooker Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry - Fix Approved

It's funny sometimes how I come up with recipe ideas.  This one was actually quite simple.  I had some canned coconut milk from another recipe that I wanted to use up.  I also had some canned pumpkin from a completely separate recipe that I wanted to use up. I figured coconut and pumpkin would go well together and BAM!  I searched online, found a recipe and made it work for the 21 Day Fix.

The base for this recipe came from: http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/slow-cooker-pumpkin-coconut-curry/.  I used my Ninja, so I could only clean one dish because I do not enjoy dishes one bit!  Plus, for some reason, I do not prefer meat cooked in a slow cooker.  It must be cooked ahead of time and added to it.  Don't ask how I can tell, but I guess my taste buds are pretty picky.

This recipe was actually quite easy, but finding some of the spices were a bit tricky.  I ended up finding everything at Sprouts Farmer's Market.  I'm sure Whole Foods will carry them too, especially if there is not an Indian grocery in your area. 


Fix Approved Ninja-Slow Cooker Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry


Ingredients:

  • 2 blue containers of coconut milk (you can opt to do 4, but I never like to use up all of my blue unless I'm making pizza)
  • 1 C pumpkin puree
  • 1 1/2 C chicken stock/broth
  • 1/2 Tablespoon curry powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon tumeric powder
  • 2 teaspoons garam masala
  • 1/4 teaspoon pink himalayan sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 large onion, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 C 1-inch cubed sweet potatoes
  • 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • Juice of 1 lime

Directions:

  1. Cook chicken over medium heat until lightly browned.  (Transfer to slow cooker, if not using a Ninja)  
  2. Add coconut milk, pumpkin puree, chicken stock, curry powder, tumeric powder, garam masala, salt, and pepper.  Whisk together to make sure its all combined and spices are evenly distibuted.
  3. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes and lime juice to the mixture and stir.
  4. Cook on low for 6 hours.
  5. Serve over rice, quinoa (or cauliflower rice as I have shown, to add another green, over another yellow)
Servings: About 1 1/4 C is 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Green and 1/2 Blue.  When served with cauliflower rice you add 1 more Green.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment