|Jerk Pork Chop Dinner|
I digress, so back to my dilemma with the Jerk Catfish seasoning...When I checked the ingredients of the seasoning blend, I saw the first item listed was SUGAR! "Nooooo!," I thought. This would not do for my 21 Day Fix Extreme eating, so I searched online for a sugar free version. I settled with this recipe: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014722-no-fuss-jerk-chicken, and it did not disappoint. Even though I did not have all the ingredients, I had enough to make it work. I actually doubled the recipe so I could use it with the shrimp and chicken I had. I will list a single batch recipe as I made it, but check out the link for the true recipe as I'm sure I will go through the effort to get some of the real stuff next time, if they make sense.
Jerk Chicken (or Shrimp, or whatever you choose!)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons ground Allspice
- 1 Tablespoon dried Thyme
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Jalapenos (the spice factor for jalapenos is very low compared to the habanero chiles. I wanted to be sure my son would eat this first time around)
- 6 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger thickly sliced
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Juice of 2 large limes
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken tenders, shrimp or whatever you choose
|Broiled Jerk Shrimp|
- Combine allspice, thyme, garlic, jalapenos (or chiles), scallions, peppercorns, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and lime juice in a blender or food processor and grind to a rough paste.
- Put meat in a baking dish or plastic Ziploc bag. Add seasoning paste and coat well.
- Cover dish or seal bag tightly and marinate, refrigerated, for at least 6 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees for chicken or turn on broiler for shrimp.
- Bring meat to room temperature.
- Bake/Broil uncovered until well browned and juices run clear when probed with a paring knife - about 20-25 minutes for chicken tenders and 10 minutes for shrimp, turning halfway.
|Meal packaged for RJ|